How do solar batteries work?
- Solar panels produce direct current (DC) electricity which most solar batteries convert to alternating current (AC) to store for use at a later time.
- If your solar PV system generates more electricity than you need, this excess goes towards charging the battery.
- During the night, when your solar panels are not producing electricity, your property will use stored energy.
- The battery stores electricity as either DC or alternating current (AC) depending on the type of battery chosen.
Costs and savings
The cost of solar batteries and the potential savings they will bring you depend on several factors. A reputable installation company will be able to advise you on this.Find your nearest HIES installer
Solar battery prices
A typical solar battery storage system cost typically ranges between £1,200 and £6,000. This depends on the chemical composite of the battery you choose, as well as its capacity and life cycle.Visit Flexi-Orb.com
When you store electricity in your solar battery and use it later the main saving you experience is from your electricity bills because you are using your own produced electricity. The amount of savings you could achieve will depend on the size of the solar battery storage system, how much it can discharge, how much your solar panels charge will it and also your usage habits.
What size of battery do you need?
There are various factors to take into account when deciding what size solar energy storage battery you need to best suit your individual requirements, such as, the level of energy independence that you want to achieve, the amount of electricity that you use and the size of your solar PV system. There isn’t a simple answer and a ‘one size fits all,’ in most cases, will not work.
A fully qualified installer should be able to advise you on what size would be suitable for you.
Taking your home off-grid
There’s a huge amount to consider for anyone who is thinking of taking their home off-grid and no longer having access to electricity. Is your home insulated enough? Are you using the most efficient appliances? How are you going to generate power?
Solar PV generates electricity from sunlight and micro wind turbines produce power from wind, but neither of these resources are constant. However, by installing a solar battery you will be able to store the electricity that you produce and use it when required. To completely take your home off-grid you will need to ensure you have the correct size solar battery.
Types of battery systems available
The two most popular types of solar batteries used in the UK are lead-acid and lithium-ion.
- Lead acid batteries are one of the least expensive options although they have a shorter life than some alternatives.
- Lithium-ion batteries are more compact and lighter than lead-acid batteries, with a longer lifespan, making them a more expensive option.
Choosing a reputable installer
You should always choose a reputable installation company to fit your solar battery system. All HIES Accredited Installers are continually vetted in many areas in order to give consumers trust, confidence and peace of mind.Find your nearest HIES installer